Jackson Citizen Patriot July 20, 2014
White's Restaurant on West Avanue in Jackson is a popular for both eating in and take-out orders. The business specializes in chicken products, but also offers cod fish, macaroni & cheese and other side dishes.
Co-owners Harold and Sonia White have owned the business since 1992. Harold has worked at the business since 1974 when he was a 14-year-old boy working for his father, Don Whitr, White's founder.
"One year runs into another; I've been working here for 40 years," Harold White said. "We're just doing the same thing we'bve been doing all along; trying to have good food and friendly service."
• Before it was White's, the building at 845 N West ave. was once the headquarters of a Lee's Famous Recipe chicken franchise, Harold White said. White's once had three locations in Jackson. One was on East Micigan Avenue from 1976 to 1999. The other was on Prospect Street from 1982 to 2001.
• The restaurant serves between 5,000 and 10,000 pieces of chicken a week, White said.
• One of the most popular dishes at White's Chicken Little is the macaroni and cheese, which was only added to the menu about three-years ago. "We went for 30-some years without having mac & cheese," White said. "We use four cheeses in it and we make it fresh."
• The restaurant does a great deal of its business through its catering service. "Last weekend we had a good 2,000 pieces of chicken go out," manager Andrea Wright said. "Our catering is especially popular around this time of year. You have graduations and a lot of people get married in the summer. You'd be surprised how many people want to have White's catering." The restaurant also offers delivery service to a large portion of the Jackson area, Wright said.
• The White family operated concessions stands at the Jackson Harness Raceway from 1977 to 1996. "We didn't have the chicken there, but 'we 'Went down there and sold hot dogs , popcorn, pop, candy bars and cigarettes," White said. "At tbe other end we were selling steak and prime rib."